Top Places to Visit in Rome
If you are wondering what places to visit in Rome, this Rome sightseeing guide is for you.
Find out what are the best sightseeing in Rome and Vatican City plus things to do in Rome and its neighborhoods.
The following index of the top sights in Rome will direct you to pages on this website with detailed information on top Rome sights and tourist attractions in Rome.
- Colosseum in Rome - World reknown amphitheater, Colosseo di Roma, is one of the most famous sights in Rome. This ancient Romman attraction was commissioned in AD72.
- Roman Forum - These famous Roman ruins were the center of political, commerical and judicial life in ancient Rome. Along with the Roman Colosseum, the Foro Romano is a "must-see".
- The Arch of Titus - The Arco de Tito was erected in AD81 to celebrate the fall of Jerusalem and victory of Emperors Titus and Vespasian in the war again.
- Basilica of Constantine - The Basilica Constantini or Basilica of Maxentius (Basilica Maxentii), was the largest building in the Roman Forum and these ancient Roman ruins give you a feel for its massive size.
- Temple of Antoninus and Faustina - The Templum Divi Antonini et Divae Faustinae consists of the porch of a Roman temple in front of the Baroque church of San Lorenzo in Miranda.
- Temple of Vesta - Tempio di Vesta is an elegant circular temple surrounded by 20 fluted columns which held the sacred flame....the vestal virgins' job was to keep the "home flame burning".
- House of Vestal Virgins - The Atrium Vestae, an interesting Roman Forum ruin, is where the Vestal Virgns (women "priests") lived for 30 years.
- Temple of Julius Caesar - Templum Divi Iuli was erected by Augustus on the site where Caesar's body was cremated after his assissination.
- Temple of Saturn - You can't miss the 8 gigantic columns of the ancient Roman ruins of the Tempio di Saturno.
- Pantheon Rome Italy - The amazing Pantheon Romano was the Roman "temple of all the gods" and is a must-see of places to visit in Rome
- Arch of Constantine - The beautiful Arco di Costantino was built to commemorate Constantine's victory over Maxentius
- Baths of Diocletian - The immense Diocletian Baths or Thermae Diocletiani covered 32 acres and could hold 3000 people at a time.
- Trevi Fountain - Fontata di Trevi is the largest and most famous fountain in Rome.
- Spanish Steps - This magnificent flight of stairs, Scalinata della Trinità dei Monti, links the Church of Trinita dei Monti with the Piazza di Spagna.
- Piazza Navona - Navona Plaza, where the ruined grandstands of the huge Stadium of Domitian were located, is a busy and popular Rome meeting place still today.
- Plaza Venezia - Plaza Venezia's famous Victor Emanuel Monument is often called the "Wedding Cake".
- Jewish Ghetto - Since 1556 all of the Jews had to live inside the walls of the Roman Jewish Ghetto.
- Trastevere - Picturesque quarter of Rome with narrow cobbled street, interesting restaurants and old churches.
- Vatican City - The Vactican is the heart of the Roman Catholic church and a must-see on a Rome Italy vacation.
- St. Peter's Basilica - The beautiful and majestic Basilica Papale di San Pietro in Vaticano and adjacent St. Peter's Piazza are visited by pilgrims from around the world.
- Sistine Chapel - The Cappella sistina is a highlight of any visit to Rome....the beautiful Sistine Chapel ceiling painted by Michelangelo is amazing.
- Rome Catacombs - Explore the underground tunnels where the early Christians, including martyrs and popes, were buried....ancient early Christian symbols can still be seen on the walls.
- Walking Tour of Rome - Favorite Rome walk on charming cobbled streets through interesting Roman neighborhoods.
I hope these links for places to visit in Rome help you plan your holiday in Rome.
Other pages that might be of interest for Rome vacations:
Return to Best of Rome Italy from Places to Visit in Rome