Transportation from Rome to Florence
Roma to Firenze
Wondering how to get from Rome to Florence?
Whether you want a few days in Florence added to your Rome Italy vacation or a day trip to Florence from Rome, you will find the information you need here.
Check out other Rome tourist tips and information on travel within Rome.
Traveling between Rome and Florence
The distance between Rome and Florence Italy is 176 miles or 284 km. Here are the options for travel from Florence to Rome or Rome to Florence...
Train from Rome to Florence
The speedy Eurostar train only takes 1:35 making it the best way to get from Rome to Florence. You can purchase train tickets here.
Here are some tips and information to help you read the search results for a train to Florence from Rome on the Trenitalia Italy Train website.
- Departure Roma TE is the main Rome Termini station
- Arrival FI SMN is Florence Santa Maria Novella , the main train station in Florence. There are two other smaller stations, FI C.M. (Campo di Marte Station) and FI RIFR (Firenze Rifredi Station)
- Length of Journey of course is how long it takes.
- Train number when it says Frecciargento or Frecciarossa after the number means high speed express train.
- Train category - ES* AV stands for Eurostar High Speed (Alta Velocità). The rest of the trains are Intercity and make stops along the way
they will be cheaper and take longer.
- 1st class fares (more comfortable and more space) and 2nd class fares.
- Select Choose one to find the cheapest train fare for this train....there are often cheap train rates available.
Flying from Rome to Florence
The flight between Rome and Florence is about 1 hour. Add to that the amount of time it takes to get to the airport, check in and go through security plus get from the airport in Florence to the city and the 1:35 Eurostar train is much faster.
When I did a price comparison, the cheapest airfare from Florence to Rome that I found was about 59 Euro vs the cheapest train fare of 31 Euro. The train is cheaper than flying between Rome and Florence.
If you still want to fly, research the best airfare at Bravofly.
Bus between Florence Firenze and Rome Roma
There is not a direct regular bus (to my knowledge) between Rome and Florence. Sena Bus has service with a transfer in Siena. The Rome to Siena is about 3 1/2 - 4 hours and the Siena to Florence bus is about 35-45 minutes.
The non-stop air-conditioned coach service Rome-Florence with Viator is about 56 USD (current fare) one way. Travel time is about 3:30.
Car Rental to travel between Rome and Florence
If you want to explore the Tuscan countryside along with Florence than renting a car and driving is a good choice. There are many toll roads in Italy so be prepared for these tolls. Check out several companies at one time for the best rates car rental Rome Italy.
Day Trip to Florence from Rome
If you don't have a lot of time but would like to see Florence, check out this A Day in Florence tour, a day trip from Rome to visit Florence.
Here are some other pages that might be of interest to you for a vacation to Italy:
Airports in Rome
Travel in Rome
London to Rome
Rome to Venice
I hope this page answers all of your questions about traveling between Rome and Florence.
Return to Best of Rome Italy from Rome to Florence