Trevi Fountain Rome
Description of the Trevi Fountain
Here is what is seen in this magnificent piece of work:
- Trevi Fountain Rome looks like the stage of an open air theater with a large arch, 2 orders of 4 columns.
- Scuptor Pietro Bracci did the Sea god Neptune standing on a shell shaped carriage being pulled by 2 horses with 2 tritons blowing their horns.
- The water shoots out of 24 water spouts and pours over steps and boulders into a great marble basin which occupies the whole breadth of the piazza. The bubbling and gushing water represent the ocean.
- The 4 figures near the top depict the benefits of water in the different seasons.
- The 2 large figures in the niches respresent health on the right and abundance on the left.
Three Coins in a Fountain
Join in the tradition of holding a coin in your right hand and throwing it over your left shoulder into the Roma Fontana di Trevi and you will be guaranteed a return trip to Rome :) This tradition was made famous by the 1954 film Three Coins in a Fountain. The Trevi coins go toward a good cause....to feed Rome's poor.
Trevi Fountain Neighborhood
The scene in the Piazza della Fontana di Trevi is lively with vegetable, fruit and souvenier stands, artisan shops and boutiques.
Churches near Trevi FountainSanti Vincenzo e Anastaio
St. Anastasius Church or Church of Saints Vincent and Anastasia is a Baroque church and was first mentioned in the 10th century.
- 3 chapels on each side
- third chapel on the left has an old fresco of Our lady
- third chapel on the right has paintings of the life of St. Camillus de Lellis, founder of the Priests Ministers
- Crypt has the hearts and entrails of 20 Popes who all died in nearby Quirinal Palace from Sixtus V (1585-1590) to Pius VIII (1829-1830)
Santa Maria in Trivio
Santa Maria in Fornica is a small Baroque Church.
- over the high altar is a venerated 15th century painting of Our Lady surrounded by a gloria or dramatization of light
- interesting vault painted by Antonio Gherardi in 1670 of the Presentation, the Assumption and the Circumcision
- on the outside wall of the church, is an 11th century inscription saying Santa Maria in Trivio was built by Belisarius in the 6th century in reaparation for having exciled a pope
Trevi Fountain Rome Tourist Information
Transportation - Bus #62 or Mini bus #116 or 119
Tourist Information Kiosk - open 9-6, Via Minghetti off of Via del Corso
Trevi Gelato - Gelateria San Crispino, Via della panetteria 42, great gelato made using creative and natural ingredients
Places to Stay Near Trevi Fountain
Best Hotels near Fontanta di Trevi
This central location is a great place to stay in Rome. Here are some favorite Trevi Fountain hotels.
Hotel Fontana di Trevi
Another hotel near the Trevi Fountain to check out is the Hotel Trevi Rome, Vicolo del Babuccio 20-21. This hotel Trevi Fountain Rome or albergo Fontana di Trevi has small, clean rooms and is in an excellent location
Trevi Fountain Apartment Rental
Check out this apartment rental near Trevi Fountain and feel like a local. I like staying in an apartment because it's nice to have the extra space to relax in the middle of a busy day of sightseeing or save some money "eating in".
All rights reserved. All content and photographs are copyrighted.