Vatican City Rome
Vatican City Rome is a seperate soverign state that has its own postal system, armed guards, radio station and the world's largest church, museum, piazza and gardens. The Pope is the religious and secular leader of this tiny country.
The Vatican Rome Italy is the heart of the Roman Catholic Church. The Holy See is a favorite pilgrimage spot for Roman Catholics from around the world.
St. Peter's Basilica is the largest and most spectacular church in Italy and arguably the world. It is flanked by the enormous and famous St. Peter's Square.
The Vatican Museum Rome is so vast that it would many days and maybe weeks to see all of its treasures. The highlight of the Vatican Museum is the Sistine Chapel and specifically Micahelangelo's frescos including the Sistine Chapel ceiling.
I was amazed the first time I visited Vatican Rome Italy. The size and beauty of St. Peter's Basilica, St. Peter's Square and the Vatican Museum can't help but have a profound impact even on non-Cathoics.
Be sure and include enough time to explore the Vatican City Italy on your Rome vacation. There is a great deal to see and do here.
The seperate pages below include the major sites and tourist information you will need to help you make the most out of your visit.
Information about Vatican City
- St. Peter's Basilica Basilica di San Pietro - The size and opulence of this grand church can't be beat!
- Vatican Museum Rome Musei Vaticani - Enjoy the treasures in this museum which seem to be endless, including the spectacular Sistine Chapel ceiling
- Vatican Tours - Check out the two hour guided tours of the Vatican Museum and avoid the long lines
- Vatican Gift Shop - Great gifts to remember your visit
- History of Vatican City - Learn about Vatican City Rome history
Vatican City Map
The Basilica of St. Peter's and the Vatican Museum are must-sees on Rome Vacations. This area will take a while to see so leave plenty of time to soak in all of the magnificant treasures here.
Also, check out the Rome Tours which include different types of Vatican Tours of the museum and Basilica of St. Peter's.
There are many other great sights to see in Rome including the world famous ancient Rome attractions.
Return to Home from Vatican City Rome